Tuesday, January 30, 2007

how awkward was that?

Today's soundtrack:
La nozze di Figaro by Mozart

So last night, the smug marrieds and I went out to celebrate the end of thesisness (for those who missed the subtle subtext of yesterday's story, yes I am done writing my thesis). Naturally, this is how the evening ended:

Scene: Lydia's at around midnight... or maybe 1am... can't be too sure as Heineken was involved... L is in the bathroom, leaving D and I unchaperoned (very unEdwardian of us). Suddenly, staggering drunken 20-something with a drink in hand walks up to us.

Drunk Guy (hereafter known as DG): Hello, I'm DG.

He puts out his hand. D and I, being proper Edwardians, shake the DG's hand.

DG: I'm going home now.

Me: Okay then, don't let us stop you.

DG: With what?

Me: With going home.

DG is confused.

D: With the walking home.

D making the walking motion with her fingers. DG is very confused. Awkward pause ensues.

DG: You guys suck. You're no fun.

Me: Gee, does that pickup line usually work?

DG: I wasn't trying to pick you guys up. You guys were trying to pick me up.

Me: Really? By sitting here looking completely uninterested?

DG stares blankly. Awkward pause. I'm feeling rather saucy (perhaps because of all the sauce), so I actually shoo him away. Did the little hand motion and everything. Eventually, DG walks away, undoubtedly completely confused as to how such a wonderful pickup line could go so very wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment