Wednesday, March 21, 2012

a moroccan birthday

Today's soundtrack:
The dove on top of the chimney.  Again.

Yesterday was Miguel's birthday, so I gathered up my newfound culinary skills for the occasion.  I made this easy chicken tagine last week, found a harissa recipe a few days later, and so a North African night was inevitable.


It's not a spicy dish, but it is hot.  Well, more like waves of heat.  By the end of the night, Miguel was eating the harissa like candy.  And the whole thing wasn't at all finicky to make.  Not that it looks at all impressive on the plate - a bit of a mess, really - but a tasty mess.


And then, of course, there was cake.  I meant to put 35 candles on it, but by the time I reached 18, it already looked like a crazed porcupine.  Also, it was a fire hazard.  But my sister was right: it's a good idea to let the cake cool for a day before icing it.  No layers slipping off this time.

This morning, I'm going on a nice, long bike ride... mainly so I can justify eating the rest of the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment