Thursday, June 01, 2006

yoga! yoga! yoga!

Today's soundtrack:
So-Called Chaos by Alanis Morissette


I went to my first yoga class in a while today (I'm needing to calm my soul after that Lost finale). Jivamukti Yoga, which I think is what I studied in Nanaimo. But then again, it's likely that all yogas are frighteningly similar. The chanting at the beginning and ending was familiar, but the lecturing at the beginning via the David Life Lecture on CD was a little much. I've heard all the lines before. That humans are the only species that take milk from other animals. That the baby animals are ripped away from their mothers (appropriate level of drama in the voice). That is takes more energy to produce a hamburger patty than to power a SUV (more disgust in the voice now). All this built into a fevered, yet measured pitch. And I suppose that if one were willing to take everything at face value then Mr. Life's statistics (the source is unnamed) are convincing.

But they are also horrifically biased. All statistics are. Ask any statistician. They'll tell you. It's all about the questions you ask, both how and when. In the case of meat production, it's about which figures you include. Do you only count the farmers? Or do you include the truck drivers? And does that mean you must include the entire oil industry? The only thing said in the 15 minute rant/lecture/tirade that resonated with me was that we, as humans, consume too much. No argument here. After working at McDonalds (shudder), I've seen firsthand the amount of food that people order, eat, throw-away, and this is not to mention the amount of waste behind the scenes. Does anyone really need a SuperSized Fry? A SuperSized Diet Coke? Sigh.

But the yoga itself was fantastic. I think I'm definitely at an intermediate level, which is great athletically, but I worry about the lifestyle involved. I'm not about to become vegetarian, for the sole reason that I could never give up Kelly's Secret Spaghetti Sauce. I have no interest in becoming vegan. To be honest, I don't see veganism or vegetarianism as necessary for advancement in yoga. Here's hoping they don't tar and feather me for that. It always amazes me how people involved in things like yoga (yes, yoga!) wind up being some of the most judgmental people in the world.

Going to try Vinyasa Yoga sometime next week (body permitting) at a different studio. We'll see if that one is a little less preachy.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes! Vegans definitely make me nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a card carrying vegetarian of 8 years I don't really see how yoga and veganism are that intricately linked. I recognize that yoga and vegan went together in the past (founding principles) but that doesn't mean the yoga derivations we have in today's society need be. Nor should they be. For instance, if you are to take up the whole 'yoga lifestyle' I highly doubt the fancy foam yoga mats with the expensive lululemon elasticated pants and the air conditioned studio's are true representations. In fact veganism is just one aspect of the lifestyle. So I say screw contemplating a vegan diet (who'd want to give up cheese and honey?) and chomp down on a juicy burger. You're more than welcome to join me on Sunday at my class, though chanting is not involved...and I think it's a basic class...lululemon outfits abound!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I propose you try to infiltrate the vegan/yoga advanced group and try to learn something about these mysterious 'meat stat' sources... you're mission, should you choose to accept it... is to avoid said tar and feathering, and capture the head vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. also, please forgive the use of "they're"

    i suspect most grad students caught that one... damnit.

    ReplyDelete