Sunday, December 23, 2007

news from the rock.

Today's soundtrack:
Goldeneye, Die Hard and Die Hard 2, because nothing says Christmas like seeing people get blown up.

Things of recent note:

1) The lace scarf project is an abject failure, but I maintain it wasn't my fault. Well, not entirely my fault. I messed up a row, started to frog it, and then realised that the little mohairs had rapped themselves around other little mohairs, creating little mohair balls of destruction. After I pulled so hard the yarn snapped in half, I dumped the remaining six inches of lovely lacework in the garbage. So much for that.

2) But onto newer and better things, or at least bigger. The Laura and Craig Afghan (version 2.0) is in the works. I've taken a cue from Alison the Knitsmith and am making a giant mitered square afghan. Each square (of the 9 I'm making) is about two feet square, so it should make for a decent replacement of the trapezoidal monstrosity that is currently gracing the papasan chair. I'm on Square No. 2 at the moment and, after buying more wool today (apparently I'm a wool optimist - I always think I have enough for a project, but that's rarely the case), I should be finished 1/3 of the afghan before I get back to Saskatoon.

3) It snowed last night. This is no scoffing matter, you Saskatchistanis! There was at least 3 or 4 inches out there first thing in the morning. Of course, by noon it had turned to slush and, by evening, ice, which gives the last minute driving to the shopping mall to buy yet another gift that extra kick of adrenaline. Hopefully La Niña drops some more snow on for Christmas. I would like a Rockwell Christmas for a change.

4) Miguel is in Spain where he is teaching the locals that life doesn't have to end when it's -7ºC outside. Perhaps if I blog-guilt him, he'll provide a much needed update. Prod, prod, prod. Also, after having a long conversation with the Spaniard at Starbucks this afternoon, I've come to the conclusion that only 3 people in this city speak Spanish and I know all of them. Therefore, I can swear like a caminero all I want. Woot!

1 comment:

  1. Is your blog stuck in the snow???

    From the West Coasters struggling with 1/2 inch of snow....what will we do??

    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete