Sunday, January 08, 2012

christmas knitting

Today's soundtrack:
"La fille dans la vitrine" by Les Breastfeeders
"I'll Bring the Sun" by Jason Collett
"Lose It" by Austra
"Let's Talk" by Hannah Georgas

Now that Christmas and Reyes Magos has both passed, I can finally post all the holiday knitting I cobbled together this year.  Not a particularly varied group of gifts (socks, scarves, and sweaters), but lovely nonetheless.

First up, my mother-in-law's new scarf:



The pattern is "Kernel" by Bonnie Sennott (Rav Link).  I used Wollmeise 100% in some sort of rust colour that arrived in a We're Different grab-bag last year.

Mom also received a scarf this year, after years of promises (and one drunken elf mishap):



The pattern is "Claire" by Lynn Anne Banks (Rav Link).  I used Fiddlesticks Knitting Zephyr Lightweight Wool-Silk in black.  This scarf was originally due for her birthday a few years ago (I believe she was turning 39 again) with a more intricate lace pattern, but I developed a severe mental block about the whole project.  Also, I found this yarn particularly finicky to work with.  I'm happy with how the whole scarf turned out, but I'm glad to see the backside of it.

Then there are my father-in-law's socks, specially requested for their length:



The pattern is "Gentleman's Fancy Sock" from Nancy Bush's collection Knitting Vintage Socks, my favourite sock pattern book (Rav Link).  The yarn is Zitron Trekking XXL in 455 (not a particularly evocative number).

Dad also got socks this year:



The pattern is "Gentlemen's Plain Winter Sock with Dutch Heel," also from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks (Rav Link).  Yarn is Zitron Trekking XXL in 326, or as I like to call it, Canucklehead.  These were quickly pronounced camp-life acceptable, which is about as good as it gets.

Pablo, who is all of 2 now, has a brand new sweater to help him through a Madrid winter:



The pattern is "Fisherman's Pullover" by Veera Välimäki in Cascade Ecological Wool (colour 8049) (Rav Link).  I made the age 4 version simply because it appears to fit a little small and the Eco Wool isn't a bulky yarn in the truest sense of the word.  I was right to do so, as it appears the sweater will last him the winter and spring, but no longer.

Owen, who trails Pablo by a mere 6 months, has a new cardigan:



The pattern is "Wonder Year Cardigan" by Elizabeth Smith and I used Cascade 220 in white, green, yellow, red, and blue (Rav Link).  I took inspiration from the HBC point blanket.  In a fit of quasi-homesickness, I visited the HBC website to see just how much one of those point blankets would be.  After I picked myself up from the floor, I decided that the next best thing would be to recreate the look on wee Owen's cardigan.

As for me, I've been working on the "Squirrel Sampler Mittens" by Adrian Bizilia for the past two months (Rav Link).  First there was the gauge issue, in which I did not have it.  Then there was the running out of yarn issue (I used Garnstudio DROPS Alpaca in 100, 403, and 7240, but I needed just slightly more than one skein of the background colour 100).  Finally, there was the lack of time to knit in the evenings as writing deadlines swiftly approached.  But on Christmas Eve, a few hours before Midnight Mass, I cast off the last few stitches, weaved in the ends, and gifted myself a pair of impossibly warm mittens.


This mittens also happen to look very cute on Mom and Dad's wilderness-themed Christmas Tree.  Yes, you read that right - a Wilderness Tree.  The tree topper is a moose.  Beat that for cuteness, I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment